We don’t usually look on self-denial or mortification as bringing us joy, but it does – both here and hereafter. In this meditation we consider:
- Why a disciple of Jesus Christ should live self-denial
- How mortification is essential for holiness
- Eight benefits of mortification
- How we can find areas for mortification in our spiritual life, in the fulfillment of our duties and in kindness towards others
- How we can accept in a spirit of penance the crosses life brings
- How those who live self-denial always find joy
Chastity is not the most important virtue – charity is – but it is essential if we are to grow in holiness and draw ever closer to God. Here is a meditation on this virtue, a virtue for everyone.