On the feast of the Sacred Heart we honour Jesus in his self-giving love for mankind. In this meditation we consider that:
- The blood and water that flowed from Jesus’ open side on the cross symbolise his love for us “to the end”
- God loves us with both “eros” and “agape”
- Jesus explained to St Margaret Mary Alacoque why he wanted a new feast established in honour of his Sacred Heart
- In answer to Jesus’ question to Peter, “Do you love me”?, we can ask ourselves how much we love him.
- Because we have been given more, we should love God more
- A letter from St Margaret Mary affords us points to consider in our prayer