Pope Francis has given the Church the Apostolic Exhortation Gaudete et Exsultate (“Rejoice and be glad”) on the call to holiness in today’s world. Today’s world is very much in need of holiness as it distances itself ever more from God, and the Pope proposes a way of holiness for everyone, for the “middle class”. In this meditation we use this document to consider how:
- We are all called to holiness since God has loved each one of us and we should love him in return.
- The Second Vatican Council stated clearly the universal call to holiness.
- We do not need to withdraw from the world in order to be saints. We can find and love God right where we are in the world.
- God has given us through the Church all the means we need to grow in holiness.
- We can find and love God through the most ordinary activities of each day.