One day God will call each of us through the gateway of death into the next life where, after a particular judgment, we will enter into heaven, either immediately or through the purification of purgatory, or we will go to eternal damnation in hell. Meditating on these realities helps us to focus our lives so that we can be found worthy of heaven when we die. In this meditation we use the Scriptures, the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the writings of saints to consider:
- Death is not the end but the beginning of eternal life
- In the particular judgment we will see our life as God sees us and we can prepare for it by being sincere here on earth
- Hell is a reality and we should do everything possible to avoid going there
- If our soul is not completely pure when we die we will be purified in the fire of God’s love in purgatory
- We should pray very much for the souls in purgatory
- Our goal is the supreme, definitive happiness of heaven, where we will see God face to face.