Pope Francis called the Communion of Saints one of the most consoling truths of our faith. Indeed it is. In this meditation we use texts of the Catechism of the Catholic Church, St Bernard, St Therese of Lisieux, St Josemaria, Pope Francis and Kimberly Hahn to pray about this union of the saints in heaven, the souls in purgatory and the faithful on earth, all helping one another on the way to heaven. We consider how:
- The Communion of Saints is both communion in holy things and communion of holy persons.
- We should endeavour to grow in holiness and increase our desire to be one day with the saints in heaven.
- We should pray much for the souls in purgatory.
- We should pray for those on earth and help them to come close to God so that they too may be one day in heaven.
- By our good deeds we contribute to the Communion of Saints and by our sins we withdraw from it.