The Church has been under fierce attack in recent months with news of widespread sexual abuse by clergy and cover ups by the hierarchy, leading many people to become discouraged and critical of the Church. In this meditation we look at the situation with eyes of faith, considering how:
- In the history of the Church there have been many crises, some of them much worse than the present one.
- The Church has always been made up of sinners.
- The Church, as the Mystical Body of Christ, goes beyond the faithful on earth who make her up at any one time.
- The Church is founded on rock and will last until the end of time.
- The British historian Thomas Macaulay and St Josemaria Escriva examine the history of the Church and see an institution which has predated all other institutions on earth and will outlast them all.
- Pope Francis has called on all the faithful to pray very much and do penance for the Church.