We are all familiar with the account of Mary and Martha, with Mary sitting at Our Lord’s feet while her sister Martha prepares the meal. We too would love to sit and listen to Jesus but we are busy about many things like Martha. In this meditation we see how our life is essentially like that of Martha, but in order to be a good Martha we must also be Mary. Using many texts of St Josemaria Escriva‘s book Furrow, we consider:
- The Second Vatican Council’s teaching that the role of the Christian lay person is to engage in the affairs of the world and order them according to the law of God.
- We cannot waste our time but should be busy like Martha.
- We should do what God is asking of us, not what we feel like.
- We should work well, like Martha.
- We should do everything for Jesus, like Martha.
- In order to do this we must spend some time each day in prayer like Mary.