St Paul says that God chose us before the foundation of the world to be holy in his presence. In this meditation we consider how:
- Our Lord’s calling us his friends demands that we should love him and strive to be more like him.
- The effort to be more Christlike is the struggle for holiness
- We were made in the image and likeness of God but our sins tarnish that image
- The work of forming ourselves is like that of the artist – it is the art of holiness
- St John Paul II and St Gregory of Nyssa speak of the struggle for holiness as similar to the work of the artist
- St John Chrysostom, like the Second Vatican Council centuries later, says that all are called holiness