When the Angel Gabriel appeared to Mary in the Annunciation, he invited her to welcome the Son of God into her womb and into the world. She said yes and our redemption was at hand. In this meditation we ponder this great event as related by St Luke and consider that:
- Because of the original sin of our first parents, mankind was in need of redemption and only God could bring it about.
- God asked Mary ‘s consent so that our Redeemer could take flesh in her womb
- Because Mary was a virgin her son would be truly the Son of God
- As the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches, God took flesh in Mary for four reasons
- As related in a homily of St Bernard of Clairvaux, all mankind eagerly awaited Mary’s answer
- We too can welcome Christ into our life by saying yes to whatever God asks of us