The parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector praying in the temple has much to tell us. In this meditation we use texts of Scripture, St Augustine, St John Chrysostom and St Josemaria to reflect on how:
- We too should endeavour to pray before the Blessed Sacrament whenever possible
- The Pharisee’s pride and self-righteousness make his good deeds of less value
- We should never judge others the way the Pharisee did
- The tax collector teaches us the great importance of humility
- We should regard all our virtues and good deeds as gifts from God.
- We are all sinners and we should ask God to forgive us, as the tax collector did
- We should do penance for our sins and go regularly to confession