God so loved the world that he sent his only begotten Son, and Jesus loved us so much that he suffered and died on the cross for us. Jesus invites us to love him in return but we so often show him by our sins that we love him too little. In this meditation we consider how:
- We cannot avoid all sins – even the saints in heaven committed them – but we can try harder to avoid sinning.
- God expects more from us than from many others.
- We should strive especially to avoid committing mortal sins and deliberate venial sins.
- We should identify the occasions of our sins and strive to avoid them.
- We should foster true contrition for our sins.
- We should do penance to make up at least in part for our sins and to strengthen our will to resist future temptations.
- We should strive to go regularly to the sacrament of penance, knowing that there God always pours out his mercy on us.